Applying for Medical Assistance or CHIP
- Visit the state website, COMPASS, to apply for benefits. Specific questions can be directed to the County Assistance Office. In Cumberland County the office is located at 33 Westminster Drive, Carlisle, and can be reached at (717) 240-2700
- The Prosperity Center (Perry County) – (717) 582-3656 – Provides free assistance with the application process.
- Cumberland/Perry Crisis Intervention – (866) 350-HELP – Walk-in services available at the Carlisle Hospital and Holy Spirit Emergency Rooms
Early Intervention Services
Early intervention services include speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, hearing services, and more. Services are provided to children with a developmental delay (for example, a delay in speech development). Children must be evaluated first to determine if they qualify for these free services.
- Cumberland County Early Intervention (birth to 2) – (717) 240-6320
- Capital Area Intermediate Unit (ages 3-5) – (717) 732-8400
Parenting Support & Classes
- Perry County Family Center – (717) 582-3656 – Services include home visits by Family Educators, Parent-Child Playgroups, a car seat loaner program
- Tutto Bambino Studio & Boutique – This family center in Carlisle offers a number of classes.
Preschool & Child Care
- Capital Area Head Start – (717) 541-1795 ext. 1 – Early Start Services for ages 0-3 and part-day preschool programs for ages 3-5
- Shippensburg University Head Start – (717) 477-1626 – Provides services from Shippensburg to Carlisle
- PreK Counts – (717) 477-1626 – Services are provided in Shippensburg, Big Spring, Carlisle, and South Middleton School Districts
- Child Care Information Services – (717) 243-4014 – Provides referrals to child care providers and also will pay part of the child care costs for eligible families
- Keystone Stars – Use this state website to search for daycare and preschool programs that meet specific standards in areas like staff education and training, communication with families, and child learning.
- Locally, before and after school care is available through ChildTime SACC (Carlisle Area School District) and Carlisle Family YMCA (South Middleton School District)
- Summer Camps – In late spring, Partnership for Better Health publishes a list of summer camps and programs in the Carlisle Area
- Carlisle Family YMCA – Most programs are available to non-members
- Carlisle Parks & Recreation
- Youth Sports Directory
Other Community & Social Services
- The Arc of Cumberland & Perry Counties – The Arc provides a wide range of services, including: advocates to assist families with accessing special education, legal services, and more; early education services in Perry County; and family education services to help families living with someone who has a disability.
- National Alliance of Mental Illness: Cumberland & Perry Counties – Family support groups, educational courses, and connection to local resources.