Applying for Medical Assistance or CHIP
- Visit the state website, COMPASS, to apply for benefits. Specific questions can be directed to the County Assistance Office. In Cumberland County the office is located at 33 Westminster Drive, Carlisle, and can be reached at (717) 240-2700
- The Prosperity Center (Perry County) – (717) 582-3656 – Provides free assistance with the application process.
Early Intervention Services
Early intervention services include speech therapy, occupational therapy, physical therapy, hearing services, and more. Services are provided to children with a developmental delay (for example, a delay in speech development). Children must be evaluated first to determine if they qualify for these free services.
Parenting Support & Classes
Preschool & Child Care
- Capital Area Head Start – (717) 541-1795 ext. 1 – Early Start Services for ages 0-3 and part-day preschool programs for ages 3-5
- Shippensburg University Head Start – (717) 477-1626 – Provides services from Shippensburg to Carlisle
- PreK Counts – (717) 477-1626 – Services are provided in Shippensburg, Big Spring, Carlisle, and South Middleton School Districts
- Child Care Information Services – (717) 243-4014 – Provides referrals to child care providers and also will pay part of the child care costs for eligible families
- Keystone Stars – Use this state website to search for daycare and preschool programs that meet specific standards in areas like staff education and training, communication with families, and child learning.
- Locally, before and after school care is available through ChildTime SACC (Carlisle Area School District) and Carlisle Family YMCA (South Middleton School District)
Other Community & Social Services