COPING WITH COVID19:
TIPS FOR KIDS & FAMILIES
The resources below accompany video series, “Coping with COVID19: Tips for Kids & Families.” Through these videos, which can be found on our Facebook page or YouTube Channel, we are sharing ways to promote family wellness and strategies for helping children who are especially anxious about the virus.
How to Talk to Kids About Coronavirus
- Get accurate, up-to-date information from the Centers for Disease Control
- For more tips from the experts on how to talk to kids, visit Centers for Disease Control, National Geographic, and the National Association of School Psychologists
- Read Dave The Dog Is Worried About Coronavirus, which is available on-line as a free PDF
- Check out these social stories, which were written for children with autism but can be useful for neurotypical kids too. They are available in several languages.
Practice Deep Breathing
- Resources on Youtube
- Belly Breathe Song with Elmo
- Relaxed Breathing with Fish (visual for kids)
- Breathing Triangle (visual for teens & adults)
- Breathe App (receive reminders throughout the day to pause and breathe)
- Stop, Breathe, Think for Kids – check out the Five-Finger Breathing, Cooling Out Breathe, and Rock-a-Bye missions!
- See our Apps page for more ideas!
- Yoga at Simply Well is live-streaming yoga classes for kids
- Transformation Training & Fitness in Carlisle will be running an at-home family fitness program from April 9-30.
- Carlisle Family YMCA has been holding fitness classes using Zoom. The links are being shared on their Facebook page as classes are offered.
- Try some P.E. with Joe on YouTube.
- Or go for a walk, crank up the music and dance, kick a ball around outside….just get moving in whatever way works best!